Individual Retirement Accounts
One of the greatest challenges facing Americans today is ensuring the financial well being and security of your family throughout your retirement years. With uncertainty over the adequacy of social security growing daily, it's increasingly necessary to rely on your own savings plans and resources to support your future retirement plans.
Yet another challenge is finding money for the impending college education expenses for your children. Tuition and other collegiate expenses are on the rise, so it's a good idea to get a head start on saving for those expenses now, instead of getting caught unprepared later!
At Platinum FCU, we offer three long term savings accounts geared to help you save for your family's future: Traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs and Coverdell Education Savings Accounts (ESAs).
Invest with confidence with the help of our Member Wealth Management (MWM) team who will work closely with you to provide strategies that help with your unique situations. Our Member Wealth Management services include retirement and income strategies, investment analysis and portfolio allocation, and wealth transfer and estate planning services.
Traditional IRAs are valuable long-term savings tools that can provide safety and security for you and your family. Your contributions can be deducted from your taxable income, reducing the income taxes you are currently paying.
Traditional IRA Features:
- Can be opened and funded without any employer participation
- Contributions and/or earnings are tax-deferred until retirement
- Possible deductions based on retirement plan participation and income
- Provide full accessibility to your funds; 10% early distribution penalty if younger than 59½ years
- Completely flexible as there is no minimum contribution in any year
- under age 70½ years may contribute a maximum of $5K per year
Platinum FCU offers a Traditional IRA that pays competitive market rates. No minimum amount is required to set up a Traditional IRA savings account. To view current rates click here or click here for the retirement calculator.
Roth IRAs offer you a very easy way to plan for the future of you and your family. Your contributions are not tax-deductible but the earnings within a Roth IRA are tax-free as long as your funds have been in the account for at least 5 years and you are either over 59½ years of age, disabled, or buying your first home.
Roth IRA Features:
- The money you contribute to a Roth IRA has already been taxed. So the principal amount is never subject to taxes or penalties in the future, as long as you stay within the contribution guidelines.
- Roth IRAs enable the money you contribute to grow tax-deferred. If you do not withdraw any of the earnings until you have had the IRA for at least 5 years and have a qualifying event, those earnings become tax-free
- There is no 70½ year age limit on making contributions. You do, however, need earned income, which is defined the same as for Traditional IRAs. As long as you satisfy the Roth IRA requirements, you may contribute to a Roth IRA, even after the year in which you reach 70½ years.
Platinum FCU offers a Roth IRA that pays competitive market rates. No minimum amount is required to set up a Roth IRA savings account. To view current rates click here or click here for the retirement calculator.
COVERDELL EDUCATION SAVINGS ACCOUNTS (ESAs)
Are you ready to start planning for your child’s future? There is no time like the present! And the perfect way to start is with a Coverdell Education Savings Account (ESA) from Platinum FCU.
The ESA allows after-tax contributions of $2K per year for each child until they reach 18 years of age. Contributions and earnings are tax free when withdrawn to pay for qualified education expenses which include tuition, fees, books, supplies and equipment.
Coverdell Education Savings Account Features:
- Contributions are not tax-deductible, but the contributions may earn interest tax deferred until distributed
- The child will not owe tax on any withdrawal from the account if withdrawal is equal to or less than the child's qualified education expenses at an eligible educational institution for the year
- Amounts withdrawn from an ESA that exceed the child's qualified education expenses in a taxable year may be subject to income tax and to an additional penalty of 10%
- If the child doesn't need the money for pre- or postsecondary education, the child may roll or transfer the balance to an eligible family member's ESA or to a qualified tuition program (QTP)
Platinum FCU offers a Coverdell Education Savings Account that pays competitive market rates. No minimum amount is required to set up an ESA. To view current rates click here or click here for the retirement calculators.
*The Credit Union provides no legal advice to members, and provides the foregoing information from a reliable resource to give our members a basic understanding of these services. You should consult with your tax or legal advisor regarding any particular and the current status of applicable federal and state laws.
- Certificates of Deposit
- Diamond Jubilee Savings Account
- Personal Checking Accounts
- Student Checking Accounts
- Savings Accounts
- College Savings Account
- Individual Retirement Accounts (IRA)
- Money Market Account
- Auto Loans
- Emergency Loans
- Home Equity Loans
- Mortgage Loans
- Personal Loans
- Secured Loan/Line of Credit
- Signature Loans
- Student loans
- VISA® Credit Cards